DADDY FREDDY’S CATFISH with Black Beans & Rice
· 4 large catfish fillets
· 1 cup corn starch
· 1 cup milk
· 1 egg
· 1 cup flour
· 1 cup corn meal
· 1 teaspoon paprika
· 1 tablespoon garlic powder
· 1 tablespoon kosher salt
· 1 tablespoon pepper
· Canola oil
Black Beans & Rice
· 2- 15.5 oz. cans black beans
· 1 red bell pepper
· 1 orange bell pepper
· 1 yellow pepper
· 1 red onion
· 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
· 1 teaspoon garlic salt
· Kosher salt to taste
· White rice
For this recipe, I use an old cast iron skillet.
If you use a fryer, consult the frying instructions.
· Cover a platter with paper towel. Clean the catfish and set on the platter.
· Set three platters side by side
2. milk and egg combined
3. flour, corn meal, and spices combined
· Coat each catfish fillet by dredging the fillets through each of the three platters. Make sure to thoroughly cover the fish each time, and be sure to also coat inside the creases and crevices of the fish.
· Place the coated catfish on a separate platter with paper towel and refrigerate for a half hour.
· Pour the oil in a cast iron skillet about ½ inch high on medium high heat.
· When the oil is hot, very carefully fry the fillets two at a time. Fry four minutes on each side.
· Place the fillets on a platter with paper towel to drain the grease.
· Fillets will be ready to eat immediately.
Black Beans & Rice
· Dice the bell peppers and red onion. You may only need about half of each bell pepper and ¼ of the red onion. I like the variety of colors for good presentation.
· Coat a pan with oil. Sautée the bell peppers and onions.
· Pour in the black beans and seasonings. Do not drain the beans. Stir on medium heat.
· Reduce to low heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
· The beans are best if you let them sit for at least an hour to maximize the flavor.
· Serve over rice.